Thursday, March 16, 2006

awakening

Quiz: How painful is it for you to get up on an average weekday morning? (on a scale of 0-10, using the handy guide below)

0. Waking up turns me on. I have trouble falling asleep just knowing that I get to wake up the next morning
1. I don't even think about it, I just get up.
2. It's not my favorite thing to do, but its better than going to the dentist.
3. Its not so painful, but it would definitely feel better to keep sleeping
4. I'm generally unhappy that I have to get out of bed
5. Yeah, it definitely hurts
6. I'd rather go to the dentist
7. I feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck
8. The pain that courses through my veins as I try to wake up causes me to fight and often lose great moral and emotional battles in the 10 minutes that it normally takes me to decide whether to take a sick day or just get up.
9. I'm pretty sure that brain cells are dying the first hour or two that I am awake in the morning.
10. This must be what a migraine feels like. to infinity. Anything but sleep is evil
11. I feel mostly dead. That life sucking machine from the Princess Bride must have felt good compared to this.

Note that 9-11 also usually include the battles spoken of in 8. And...7-11 are all very similar in degree, I'll grant that. A mack truck just may leave you mostly dead. (yeah, and don't get me wrong, I love my dentist. I just know that I'm one of the few that do...)

8 comments:

amy said...

so where do you fall on the scale. I identify with 4, but I don't feel like that much of a morning person. I should be somewhere around a 7, but I like the wording of 4 much much better than that of 7. maybe I'm just scared of mack trucks

amy said...

and that was supposed to be a question directed at you...

where do you fall on the scale?

Brian said...

Most days I'm at 5, it hurts noticeably (my head does), but sometimes, like today, I'm at 8 or 9. I've only gone to 11 once or twice in my life.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 5, but I'd imagine in about 5 months I'll be a 0 because I'll get to wake up next to you. (Am I allowed to say that online?)

Anonymous said...

Usually I have a tussel with the beams of sun that peirce through my window during that period of time. Then I proceed to swat at the sun as if it is a fly. Then I moan for some time saying "noooooo." This is one of the few times I will say no. Sometimes the sun has no effect on me and I am totally reliant on my alarm clock which never seems to work out. The alarm clock and I have an understanding. Neither of us like each other. I don't like that he walks me up and therefore hit the snooze button violently. But luckly I have much practice in the art of hitting the snooze button and immediately falling back asleep. This is cruical. Ok that is about it. There might be more. But that is all you get.

Anonymous said...

Buddy, it was great to see you wednesday night! I look forward to being back and partaking in some sweet bible study with yah.

blue mcgoo said...

I'm a morning person. I bounce out of the bed. Assuming I have gone to bed at a decent hour. If I didnt get between 7-8 hours.. I'll hit the snooze button a few times before I even realize that its morning. I won't even remember hitting the button.

Anonymous said...

2-3. It helps that I don't have to get up until 8am. :-D I'm a little bit higher on the scale if I have to get up before 7.